Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Monsters magically multiply?
04-25-2016, 05:48 PM
Monsters magically multiply?
Hi all - new player here, still learning the mechanics of this game (and enjoying it at the same time). Quick question - is it normal or buggy for the monsters you meet in combat to "magically" multiply, which would then swarm/surround you and kill you in a couple of turns? I experienced it with rats and larva and have now stopped going near any monsters altogether because there's no way I (as a level 2 archer without much arcane skills or strength stats) could beat any one of them, even with a pet next to me, let alone 3 or even 5 of them attacking us at close range at the same time!! I tried running but they still catch up with me.

Would this be fixed, or is how combat plays out in Balrum? Any suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-25-2016, 06:28 PM
RE: Monsters magically multiply?
This is no bug.

The mentioned enemies (and a third one later in the game) have the ability to multiply.

Strategy: memorise the "original" before it multiplies, attack and kill only this one and the rest will die as well.

By the way, most rats and larvae are not hostile in the first place, so you can simply walk by. Wink
04-25-2016, 06:39 PM
Thanks so much, The Asker. Yes I noticed that the spiders didn't multiply, but I don't think pet rats have the ability to multiply in combat (haven't tried taming one yet)....
04-26-2016, 05:37 AM
You´re welcome. Smile

I do not know if you can tame rats, I played the whole game with the dog. But I have read that tamed animals are less powerful (in terms of health etc.) than their untamed counterparts, so I would assume that tamed pets also lose special abilities like these illusion forms.
04-28-2016, 06:29 PM
I saw a "Let's Play" series on YouTube and the host was able to tame and name a rat. The abilities the pet had looked different from what an untame rat could do.