Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Skillbook workaround
03-13-2016, 11:58 PM
Skillbook workaround
First of all, I would like to commend you for your work. You have created a niche game that is very appealing for RPG fans such as myself and I'm eager to continue enjoying it. For that reason, I would like to contribute with a little suggestion.

As other users have pointed out, it's fairly frustrating to find a skill book that is no longer usable because the player has already improved the skill granted by the book. This design choice brings about two undesirable effects: some players feel that their character is forever gimped due missed LP, while others take a restricting, metagame-conscious approach and plan their character's progress around skill book availability.

I agree that skill books should improve specific levels, as level-independent boots are exploitable (getting alchemy to level 2 and then grabbing both books in NW Darkwood would unlock level 4 right away). My suggestion is that when a book can no longer award a skill level, it should award the corresponding LP. That way, if the player chooses to improve swordplay to level 2 before finding the book, all that is lost is 500 gold, and not 5 LP. This could apply to stat boosts as well.

Thank you for reading this. Keep up the good work!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2016, 01:55 AM
RE: Skillbook workaround
I think they do this on purpose, so all other player can ask each other for the game ...
and eventually make the talk about this game more lively ...
(this also being applied at few other game, about missing secret, feature, etc) ...

probably to prevent dead thread and talk around the net about this game ...
tough, this decision very good for anyone who keep saving their LP ...
03-22-2016, 12:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2016 12:46 PM by impus0044.)
RE: Skillbook workaround
(03-13-2016 11:58 PM)Sefrog Wrote:  First of all, I would like to commend you for your work. You have created a niche game that is very appealing for RPG fans such as myself and I'm eager to continue enjoying it. For that reason, I would like to contribute with a little suggestion.

As other users have pointed out, it's fairly frustrating to find a skill book that is no longer usable because the player has already improved the skill granted by the book. This design choice brings about two undesirable effects: some players feel that their character is forever gimped due missed LP, while others take a restricting, metagame-conscious approach and plan their character's progress around skill book availability.

I agree that skill books should improve specific levels, as level-independent boots are exploitable (getting alchemy to level 2 and then grabbing both books in NW Darkwood would unlock level 4 right away). My suggestion is that when a book can no longer award a skill level, it should award the corresponding LP. That way, if the player chooses to improve swordplay to level 2 before finding the book, all that is lost is 500 gold, and not 5 LP. This could apply to stat boosts as well.

Thank you for reading this. Keep up the good work!

Agreed, in my time i was managed start game from beggining couple of times, cause miss so much LP.