Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
early beta v0.0.85_beta
03-30-2014, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2014 03:04 PM by Mark Rushow.)
early beta v0.0.85_beta
Tutorial: http://balconyteam.com/forums/thread-3902.html

What a pleasant surprise to wake up to today. I have to work but I played for a few minutes before hand. So far all works and I haven't had an issue that I have come across yet. I'll play more when I get home tonight.Cool

"Walk into the heart of danger
Don't let the darkness enchain you
Face your Fear!" - Battle Beast: Into The Heart of Danger
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-30-2014, 05:53 AM
RE: early beta v0.0.85_beta
It seems that alchemy isn't working yet either (or I did not get how to make it work!).
Nonetheless, the game did run smoothly (played it for about 4hs). Nice! Smile
03-30-2014, 03:50 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 03:55 PM by PMIK.)
Playing the beta. It is fantastic!
I'm just going tho throw up general remarks as I go along.

- Am I supposed to be able to take all of Ida's vegetables without repurcussions? Is a stealing/crime system going to be in place for later versions?

- Is there a way to turn the tress off? I'm having trouble seeing the deer when they run through the woods.
03-30-2014, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 05:42 PM by Mark Rushow.)
(03-30-2014 03:50 PM)PMIK Wrote:  I'm having trouble seeing the deer when they run through the woods.

I love going through the woods feels a bit like getting a little lost and they are so thick. I do need a machete for the brush though. Better not loose a fire ball. What if doing so started a forest fire with you in it? I love gathering things in this game; weird I hate gathering generally. I clicked on a puddle of water and found a frog!

There is a barrel just south of Grandpa's house the bottom right corner of the garden that can be attacked but not destroyed. It can not be opened. Attacking with a sword repeatedly though I gained no exp it said "You have mastered this level go see a teacher.".

Abilities/skills must be toggled before using another. After assigning spells to 0-9 key bindings. Say I toggle shoot on then I toggle attack, I'll keep shooting instead until I first toggle shoot off. This seems to be the case for other combinations.

The music seems to be a bit inspired by the second Tron movie, which is pretty alright by me. It is unique still of its own and I like it.

I like the lightning buff that is a neat idea.

After placing a torch down I can't seem to pick it back up again. I also can't figure out how to light or carry a torch if that is possible yet or ever.

Well music is creepy, I love it.

I had to turn on full screen and turn out all the light sin my room to play this game.

Alright has anyone figured out how to drink!? I've tried doing things with the buckets of water. I've tried doing this with the little puddle around and empty bottles. The well looks dry. IDK!

Love the resonating sound of the giant crystal.

03-30-2014, 05:03 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 05:25 PM by PMIK.)
- Is there a carry limit planned? It is convenient that I can carry the whole world in my pockets but it does seem a bit like cheating.

- I like playing the game in fullscreen. Is it possible to make the game always start in fullscreen rather than going into the options menu everytime I play

- How the hell do I feed Osric's Pigs. I have the corn, I put them on the feeding troughs, I tried using them on the pigs. No success!

- I also noticed that indestructible barrel. It probably shouldn't be there
03-30-2014, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2014 05:51 PM by Mark Rushow.)
(03-30-2014 05:03 PM)PMIK Wrote:  - I also noticed that indestructible barrel. It probably shouldn't be there
I'm sure a lot more is to come yet. We just don't know at this point what is supposed to be working and what is bugged or not working or simply not implemented fully yet. Like drinking. I don't know if I just haven't tried the right way to do it or if it just isn't implemented yet.

I'm glad to get to play with the early beta though. It is a lot of fun thus far. I'm so glad I backed this game.

I like the barrel lol.

I feel like Balrum is how Diablo III should have been made.

There is such a high sense of exploration to this game I love it.
I wish I could figure out how to drink though, lol. But not knowing how to do anything and trying to figure it out is a lot of fun.

03-30-2014, 09:22 PM
(03-30-2014 05:46 PM)Mark Rushow Wrote:  There is such a high sense of exploration to this game I love it.
I wish I could figure out how to drink though, lol. But not knowing how to do anything and trying to figure it out is a lot of fun.

I agree! I love discovering new things on my own, however, they should not be very obscure mechanisms without clear instructions. For example, if drinking requires pressing ctrl+shift+D then we should probably be told that explicitly.

I'll play the game now and see if I can figure out how to drink
03-31-2014, 01:45 AM
If anyone figures out how to light torches that would be great information to share lol. My furthest play through so far is just sitting in the darkness in the well because there is no light and I can't progress past some metal doors (maybe I need to try lock picking, I clicked on the well thinking I could drink from it.... whoops lol).
03-31-2014, 03:10 AM
(03-30-2014 05:53 AM)Rafa Wrote:  It seems that alchemy isn't working yet either (or I did not get how to make it work!).
Nonetheless, the game did run smoothly (played it for about 4hs). Nice! Smile

I was actually able to get Alchemy working, granted only for the quest with Brown (I haven't tried anything else yet). What I did was bought 4 simple bottles from Brown, found 4 of the Life leaves outside in the town, put the leaves in the top (kinda diamond shaped part), some wood in the wood tray (it lights automatically, so you may want to do this last), and the bottles on the bottom. Once everything is in place click create and it made the potion. I was able to create 3 potions with 1 log, but like I said my log started right away so you may be able to get all 4 with 1 log if you are quick enough.
03-31-2014, 03:31 AM (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014 03:43 AM by Mark Rushow.)
(03-30-2014 04:41 PM)Mark Rushow Wrote:  Abilities/skills must be toggled before using another. After assigning spells to 0-9 key bindings. Say I toggle shoot on then I toggle attack, I'll keep shooting instead until I first toggle shoot off. This seems to be the case for other combinations.

"You can select one melee ability and one magic to be your main attacks (left click is the melee, right click is the selected spell)."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(03-31-2014 01:45 AM)armytrixter Wrote:  If anyone figures out how to light torches that would be great information to share lol. My furthest play through so far is just sitting in the darkness in the well because there is no light and I can't progress past some metal doors (maybe I need to try lock picking, I clicked on the well thinking I could drink from it.... whoops lol).

Lol I did the same exact thing. All I was able to do was build a camp fire or place torches on the ground. Just click on the camp fire icon lower right of your action bar. I wasn't able to go anywhere but back out.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just redownload the files and use them to launch the updated game. Don't use the ingame update button yet!
"We updater the beta to version 002. If the window title says 002 that you have the newest version. If it displays Balrum_v0.0.85_beta instead of Balrum v0.0.85_beta_002 than you have an old version so please re-download the game. This is an important update so please make sure you have the 002 version." ~Balcony Team