Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
World/Area random events
06-20-2013, 04:52 AM
World/Area random events
Some world/area random events could be pretty neat.
We would want players to hace interaction with the event, to gain some stuff/quest from it.
Some examples:
Forest fire: burns trees(obvioulsy). Spreads to nearby trees/plants. Kills animals, detroys plants. Can be extinguished using water (from a nearby pond, or rain puddle, or whatever). Every extinguished tree/plant could give a slight chance to spawn a thankfull tree spirit (that would then give some plants, come as a follower, teach stuff, whatever...). Of course, going near several burning trees would be harmfull (heat/fire relevant), the more trees, the more harmfull, unless protected (spell, clothes, whatever...).
Shrooms disease: all shrooms disappear from the world, for some times, untill the player Recovers the ONE shroom. Same for many kind of stuffs.
Vampire Lord attacks living stuff, and turn them into "gouls".
Zombie uprising A cemetary spawns zombies, until some enchantment is dispelled, by whatever means (or a max amount of zombies is reached, or whatever).
EpidemicsNPCs get sick, you won't be able to talk to them until they are healed (receive proper spell, or plants, or whatever) or for some times. Could be a great opportunity for the player to gain money.
Some random boss spawn: "Bigfoot" has been seen near whatever, it probably won't stay long there. This kind of encounter should definitely be scaled...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2013, 04:29 AM
RE: World/Area random events
As always, great ideas! Smile

What do you think about rare mobs that only spawn at a specific time and place, for a specific amount of time? (NPCs can give you hints ofcourse)
06-26-2013, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2013 04:45 AM by cromcrom.)
Thanks a lot, glad you like them :-)
Those rare mobs are a must imho.
or spawn if the proper ritual is accomplished.

Some more events I added in my NWN2 mod: planar gates.
Sometimes, planar gates would randomly spawn in the world (think RIFT stuff, but much more random). Stuff would get out of it (creatures).
Tied to a skill of course, elemental learning, or magic reading, or whatever. basic reading would give experience, or magical elements to create items or whatever, and a legendary practitionner was able to "read" this gate, and open it, to go to the plane itself, that would be very dangerous, but full of treasures. Could be tied to some world surprise. The player has no ideas he can cross into another plane, until he actually does it...
06-29-2013, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 10:00 PM by anarchy.)
I read the post, cromcrom you have really good ideas, i like many of them Smile
I have some "event's idea", i'm not sure they are good enough, but here they are:

Predators: If the deer/rabbit or any animals that the the predators attack and eat, will be depleted, the system generate some quest for hunting down the predators (wolfs, bears or anything).

Bandits: Certain areas, the bandits have more courage and in random time they attack the city/village or attack the player on the road, and the bandits have a leader, that can be the boss of them. Maybe the system make some quest to hunt down these fuckers.

Undead hordes of Nasrus: I can imagine that Nasrus send some scout, the system generate these scout hordes random, and maybe we can meet them in certain ares or (again) the NPC's(I thinking about soldiers) add quest to hunt them down.

Fire/disaster in the village: In summer, there is a little bit chance that some house will be flame up. The player in that time stay in the village/city, if he help in the fire fighting, he will get some reward(xp, gold or items).
This idea get in my mind after read cromcrom first post Smile

Help for the church: I read about the gods (Adacus and Eogor) in the website. I imagine that, what if there are some random quest about it, i think about likes this: build a new church, build some furniture for them, help in the church own farming(hunt down the rabbit, make some fence, or in agriculture) or get more believer (i dont know better words for it, sorry Sad ) for the church. I don't know that, what kind of gods, Adacus and Eogor, if they enable to chase/kill the pagans(who's not trust in Adacus and Eogor), there's can be an option to kill the not believers in some quest because some nice word's doesn't enough to make them believers of Adacus and Eogor.
07-04-2013, 05:54 AM
"Help for the church"

I really like that!
Will discuss this with Attila Wink
07-04-2013, 09:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 09:59 PM by anarchy.)
For the church quest i have some new idea's: this is not random quest, i think the game need (not random) quest what connect to balrum's god. I prefer some quest when you explore some old abandoned church/dungeon, and get some powerfull magic item, like Eogor bow's, what is doesn't need arrows and make very big light damage, this can be really effective against nasrus hordes. I prefer if you make some quest what connect to the gods Smile

But i can imagine some random quest about this, local priest ask you to clear a church against undead's/vampires or any kind of evil creatures,. When the church is clear, it can be get holy light everywhere in the church(not think about any effect, just switch the light of the game Big Grin ), beacause the evil's are dead. And of course, some chest opened (what you can't opened before you doesnt clear the playe), and got some holy water/item, what make some buff/stat against the evil hordes.

Another quest type, when you got some quest to destroy the evil's altair/church where they sacrifice human's. In there i imagine some battle against necromancer or boss Big Grin
08-03-2013, 05:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-03-2013 05:36 PM by Bearhug67.)
What's the worst enemy attacking your farm?
I would say besides fire, undead creatures as they could spread diseases on your crops and stashes.
After being in some encounter with rotten creatures the player might want to take at least a bath before shaking hands with other people, goes hunting or returns to his farm.

I know diseases are not very popular in most games as they usually add additional trouble and realism but no benefit.
But they would fit to a game like this if not overused too much. A mean player could maybe even use such problems against other living enemies even that might backfire badly when that could spread and come back to the player on detours later over NPC's.

If I remember correctly the player character will fight alone, or at least most of the time. So any supportive skill like 'moral boosting' for others might be not needed
Most paper rpg games usually had some character attribute like bravery and/or constitution to see if the player might loose his nerves and or succumbs to his wounds.

Besides skills which focus on a certain weapon category, e.g. missile weapons. throwing weapon, slashing weapon, pole weapons, etc. to give bonuses on those there could be also skills which could effect offensive and/or defensive skills, e.g. charge, riposte, tumble, tossing dirt or even coin to distract sentient enemies just long enough to run, etc.. Animals would maybe prefer your provisions or your own 'ham' Wink
To give platers with different focus on different attributes, strength, dexterity, etc. they might prefer to learn more specific skills which fit more to the specific character. A stronger character might prefer offensive and defensive skills which fit more his brute force as a more dexterous character might prefer dodging or running.

I can't say more as I also have no clue about the basics for the fighting system.