Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Followers
06-17-2013, 09:00 PM
Followers
Would it be possible to hire some followers ?
I could benefit from their skills (so if I hire a master herbalist, I could pick up herbs as if I was a master herbalist, for example), or ask them to do stuff for me (like carry some stuff, or heal me if they are medics, or fight with me....)

That could be a whole huge gameplay feature :-)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-2013, 04:39 AM
RE: Followers
The problem with followers is the following Smile
-lots, and lots of new art Big Grin

This is something that we wanted in the game. Our idea was this:
You can group with other adventurers (NPCfriends or mercs) to enter a dungeon or to clear out an area, but we don't want them to be with you all the time.

We will get back to this question.
06-27-2013, 06:47 AM
That sounds like a fair solution to me. If a follower was permanent, it would require a pretty big focus on AI, pathing and what not...and from what I understand from other projects, complicated AI is almost a full time job by itself Tongue
07-11-2013, 01:44 AM
I'd much rather have companions that can be controlled by the player. In my experience with AI controlled followers, best case scenario they are basically useless, and worst case scenario they get in the way and / or mess up the player's strategy. I'd guess it would be easier to implement player controlled companions as well.
07-11-2013, 03:20 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2013 03:23 AM by cromcrom.)
That's why I make a distinction between followers and companions.
Followers should be very basic things you have almost no control over (attack (my target), stay). They also should be pretty expendable.
But followers would add some great gameplay features/deepness:
Recruit local wandering people, that will give you a bonus to skill if they stay with you. Tame wild animals, followers could be gained from reputation, buying them, quest rewards, some specific skills for some specific followers.

For example, after a character enters the spirit world, he manages to attach an owl spirit to him. This owl spirit would be immune to normal attacks, and grant the player some special powers, like seeing in darkness, mana regeneration boost.
For example, the PC could come accross a wounded warrior. if he successfully heals him (success or warrior die), the warrior will offer to join the player. This warrior might be quite feeble, and would attack the target of the player only. Nothing hard on the AI. PLayer could dismiss him anytime through dialogue.
Some more, the player come across a wolf pup. If he gives him meat, and tames it (through skills or whatever), the pup will turn into a wolf. And so on.

So, followers should be a light enriching feature, on the contrary of companions, that are usually deep complex heavy things.
10-25-2013, 03:38 PM
I only like the idea if I don't have to manage their talents and stats and gear and they can figure out what to do after some basic commands on their own.

"Walk into the heart of danger
Don't let the darkness enchain you
Face your Fear!" - Battle Beast: Into The Heart of Danger
10-30-2013, 09:38 AM
I would like some autonomous group members. They could be NPCs that want to follow you and some could be hired. Or this could stay a single character game and I would still love it.